Wednesday, January 14, 2009

the Twins


I think all of us wonder what it might be like to have an identical twin unless you are one. Of course they are each individuals first and foremost, but they share so many traits that are so alike. I can remember when I first met Mark and found out he had a twin I was curious as to how I would react to him (Mike). At the time they were 20 yrs old and I found that even then they were enough dissimilar that I was not attracted to Mike nor would I have been had I met him first. I certainly liked Mike immediately (and do still) but my heart connected to the person Mark had evolved into for many reasons. I still often wonder what it is like to have a mirror image in this world....a shared connection very few of us can really understand. Mike recently posted a picture of himself with only the lower part of his face showing and it was very eerie to me because it was so like Mark. And there are times like when they smile with just the same one side of the mouth upturned that it really is identical. And their voices are so very similar that on the phone I'd be hard pressed to say which one I am talking to. Yes, they look more individual today than how they started out above due to the lives they lived apart but they have experienced something in their "twinhood" that most of us never will.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

lindsay said...

What beautiful babies they were!

Unknown said...

and they grew up to be handsome men!

Heatherbaby said...

Many times I hear Mike or Mark or Brian when Dave says things. Its weird, but probably not as weird as the twindom between Mark and Mike!

wildmary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wildmary said...

I have the same asymmetrical smile and Deb says I'm Mike with boobs. Creepier than that, one day when I was in high school I was in the back seat of a car and caught a glimpse of part of my face in the rear view mirror and for a moment thought it was Mike or Mark! Yikes!

lindsay said...

Haha! Dave calls me Mark Wild with boobs because my personality takes after him so often!

Unknown said...

Mary you do look like Mike and Mark, I've always said that!
And Lindsay....Dave is right on!